« Home | Real Holocaust » | Choose Your Response... » | Chili... » | Love is all around... » | Just had an awesome weekend » | "So I says 'Morty,' I says..." » | First Christmas » | Blue Sky » | My Slideshow! » | dreams... » 

Monday, February 27, 2006 

Legacy

We had a great time at the marriage seminar this weekend. We picked up a lot of cool ideas, nothing ground breaking. But there was a lot of information that kind of pricked us into thinking about habits we’ve made that aren’t necessarily the best. One of the biggest ideas that this weekend encouraged was the idea of leaving a legacy. I think that it’s easy to over-look the importance of leaving a legacy. However it’s one of the noblest things that I can think of to do.
Look at the families that grow in mediocrity, not just spiritually but also emotionally, mentally, and financially. Most of us can especially look at our own families that we grew up in and see some things that we wished we’d grown up with. Does that mean that our families were failures? Absolutely not, but it means that once we can see those mistakes we can improve on them.
There are a couple of things that we’ve looked that that we would like our children to be able to grow up with. Well, actually more than a couple.

Spiritual Heritage
Salvation
Biblical Knowledge/morals/ethics
Doctrinal foundation
Ethics/Character

Finances
The concepts of Building wealth
Inheritance when WE die
College paid for

Socially
Be able to relate well with all ages
Be confident and composed
Stylish in how they look and speak
Able to step outside “the norms”
Never let anyone look down on them
Yet be a servant enough to serve (warrior servant)
Confident in their sexuality (a real man and a real woman)

Mentally/ Emotionally
Able to Handle stress
Able to focus and concentrate
Able to learn quickly
Smart and capable
Organized
Emotionally stable and thoughtful of others

Attitudes
Charismatic and able to lead
Gentle and humble- able to follow
Optimistic but tempered with reality
Brave, Able to work through fears

High expectations right? Is it possible for a parent to set the bar too high? I think that the important thing to remember is that the children follow the parents’ leadership. As A parent we first need to become what we want our children to be… that sets our own bar high and it gives us a personal reason to set our personal expectations higher… to build a legacy…
If we use our own lives, we have maybe… 50 more years to be active if the Lord blesses us? If we leverage our lives and raise great children… they will raise great children as well and so on so forth… it leverages greatness into our family tree and it leaves a legacy that will reach far beyond my own lifetime…

That's awesome. I've thought about it sometimes - is my life the example I want to show to my future children? It's not like my attitudes and actions are going to automatically become ideal when they are born. I need to working on my character now.

Awesome pic, too!

One of the things that really got me thinking about this first was our Dave Ramsey Financial University. He makes constant reference to changing his family tree, about how he's setting up his future generations for success through his own success.
Another interesting study was done against a popular Christian theologian and speaker and an atheist. They both had 11 children and they did a study on the ancestors of both... the atheist had like 400 who died as alcoholics like 80 who became prostitutes like 150 who became professional thieves... the Christian has a long line of doctors lawyers and law abiding citizens... interesting... I'd like to find the actual article on it...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Silent Watcher
  • From North Olmsted, Ohio, United States
  • I have 2 years of college and two years in the army as a Combat Medic. I am currently working on my bachelor’s in Business Management. I was married 6 months ago and enjoy life with my beautiful Canadian bride by my side.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates